Saturday, March 3, 2018

Lunar Eclipse

The super, blue, blood moon back on January 31st was AMAZING!!!! Here in east Asia, we had a perfect, maximum view of the total eclipse. It was my first time ever seeing a lunar eclipse, let alone a total one, and it was so special. This was the first time since 1866 that a blood moon, blue moon, and super moon coincided on the same night. The blood moon refers to the total eclipse itself - the shadow cast on the moon gives it a beautiful blood red color. A blue moon never refers to its color, it simply means the second full moon in a single month. This usually happens a couple of times per year, and we'll be having a blue moon this month on the 31st. A super moon means that the moon is orbiting a bit closer to the earth and it appears to be at least 30% bigger than normal. I ran outside that night with my camera and got to see the entire eclipse through. It was so spectacular and gorgeous, but the next morning was a surprise as well. I went outside about 5am the next morning to take the trash out, and the super moon was so huge and stunning that it nearly literally knocked me off my feet. I could only get a couple of pictures of it, as my camera struggles to do it justice. Such a magnificent experience!




The super moon at 5am
 

No comments:

Post a Comment